Things to do in the Tsitsikamma
- Oyster Bay
- Storms River
- Oyster Bay
- Storms River
Last Updated: 6 months ago
Contact Tsitsikamma Tourism - Oudebosch Info
- 042 285 0562
- Longitude: 23.8863158226
- Latitude: -33.9740790467
About Things to do in the Tsitsikamma
The Tsitsikamma has something for everybody ranging historic and natural attractions to adrenalyn pumping adventure activites, beautiful scenery and great food.
Here are 10 Places to visit along with many more things to do in the Tsitsikamma as recommended by the Tsitsikamma Village Inn
1. Tsitsikamma National Park, one of the most beautiful places in South Africa. Amazing vistas and trails with the Mouth Trail to the famous suspension bridge over the Storms River Mouth and, for the fitter hiker, the Waterfall Trail with a swim in the pool below the falls.
The mouth trail is always quite busy , but the other trails in the park are much quieter.
A very popular adventure activity in the park is the Kayak and Lilo Tour up the Storms River Gorge from the river mouth
2. Otter Trail. This iconic trail was opened in 1968. It is 43km long and is hiked over 5 days. A tough trail but a definite for any hiker's bucket list. The Otter is also run each year in October as an endurance race.
3. Natures Valley. An incredibly beautiful valley, lagoon and beach. A must do is the Salt River Trail, a 5km hike starting at the shop in the village. The trail takes you over 4 different Eco zones, starting with beach, coastal forest, river mouth and then the rocky cliffs back to the start. The last sections of the trail is only possible at low tide.
Also at Natures Valley, hike along the beach in an easternly direction to the cliffs that mark the end of the Otter Trail. A path takes you to the top of the cliffs where you are defiantly on the top of the world.
At this end of the beach over the first rocks is a tidal pool where, at high tide, sharks often enter. Always worth a look.
The beach is great but due to rip currents it is safer to swim in the lagoon.
Horse riding is on offer in the area at the Crags
4. Tsitsikamma Trail. This 6 day trail starts at Natures Valley and ends at the Storms River Bridge or in Storms River Village. The trail traverses the Tsitsikamma Mountain range. There are also 2,3 or 4 day options available as well as a “slack packing” option which ensures you hike only with a day pack while your heavy packs are transported to the following hut.
5. Bloukrans Bridge. The highest bridge (214 meters) in Africa bult in 1980. This bridge is home to the highest commercial bridge bungee jump operation in the world. If you are not so keen on the jump, the view points are great.
6. Bloukrans Pass, Completed in 1860 by Thomas Bains. The Western Cape side of the pass is still accessible so take a slow drive down the pass with your windows wound down and take a swim in the river at the bottom of the pass to top this experience off.
7. Storms River Village. A little off the N2 with lots to do from the famous Treetop Canopy Tours, Segway trips, the Woodcutters Journey down the old Storm River Pass, Black Water Tubing and some great mountain bike trails. There are 4 free hiking trails ranging from 2km to 12km that start in the village.
8. The Big Tree, Just past the Storms River Village is a giant 1000 year old Yellow wood tree that is worth the visit, a 500m board walk take you to the tree , a further trail of 3.6km is possible.
9. Walk across the Storms River Bridge at the Total garage. This bridge was completed in 1960 the pedestrian walkway was added later. As trucks pass over the bridge the road deck moves slightly, a little unnerving a definite test of your nerves.
10. Eersterivier, Oudebosch and Oyster Bay on the eastern end of the Tsitsikamma offers the beautiful Eersterivier beach, Oudebosch Farmstall with their famous roosterkoek, golf at the Fynbos Golf Club and dune safaris & horse riding on the beach at Oyster Bay